Monday, May 2, 2011

A Weekend Full of World History

Friday morning began a weekend of world history that unfolded right before our eyes. I hope you didn't miss it! I certainly didn't get up at 4 am Friday to watch the Royal Wedding, but I most certainly DID DVR it. I wouldn't have missed it for anything! I remember Princess Diana getting married and how the world witnessed the whole event. It was beautiful and a major event in the history that I can actually remember. I'm no history buff, {that's my husband} but there are certain historical events that really interest me. The royal family is one. Even though I don't understand their entire role, etc. I am intrigued by them. Visiting London several years ago only heightened my interest in them. So, there was no way I or my family was going to miss this wedding of Prince William and Princess Catherine. Hubs and I watched a 6-part documentary on it during last week and then the wedding just topped it off. I thought the whole thing was beautiful and it was great to witness. Some on Facebook were appalled at those of us who were actually watching it, but it is an event that I will always remember. I hope you didn't miss it!

Then, last night before Hubs and I were headed to bed, I saw on FB that Osama Bin Laden was dead. In a matter of minutes, tons of posts about it were up. So, we turned the TV back on and waited for Obama to address the nation. What a huge victory for the USA! I am so proud of our military men and women who work so hard every day to protect our great country. That is no small sacrifice. {Warning: Soap Box Speech ahead!} I read post after post on FB about this great justice that has been served to someone so violent and full of hate toward the free world. Some were humorous, but then came the 'self-righteous' posts from fellow Americans that started accusing those of us that were happy about this victory of not being Christlike for being glad Osama is in Hell. I think I only read one person on my FB say anything about Osama being in Hell, which I am quite sure that's where he is. Let me state, for the record, that the leader of the enemy has been conquered! He had the opportunity to choose how he would live his life and he chose not to accept the grace that God so freely offers to ALL people in ALL nations. John 3:16 'For God so loved the WORLD that He gave His only begotten son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life.' It was his choice and he chose a life of complete rejection of Jesus Christ and chose eternal damnation instead. Am I glad about that? No. But it is okay and right to rejoice when the enemy has been defeated! You can bet your bottom dollar that God will not be telling us to stop rejoicing at Armageddon when His enemy is forever defeated. He will be leading the Saints in the ultimate celebration over the enemy's defeat. It is a very sad reality that millions of people will choose to live the same way Osama did. They may not be terrorists, they may not hate America, in fact, they might sit next to you in church or live next to you or reside in your home. Maybe it's you. I fear that lots of people are living under the name of Christianity {or any other religion}, but there is no evidence of Christ living in them. They come to church, act right, dress right, speak right, but they have never trusted in Jesus Christ alone to save them from sin. Just because you don't act like Osama Bin Laden, it doesn't mean you've chosen by grace to live through faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 2:8-9 says 'For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works {either!} lest any man should boast.' Osama chose damnation. What will you choose? You still have time, but you don't know how long you have. Think about where you will spend eternity. Because there will be an eternity to face when this mortal body dies. I hope you'll be with my Saviour in Heaven.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.